Tuesday 7 April 2020

Men cooking for the family as a challenge

Lockdown and men cooking for the household 

Sri Sri RaviShankar ji the other day in satsang said hey one day let the women announce a strike and 
let men take a challenge to cook for the family.
I too participated in the challenge and as a family we undertook last week, first day of the week.
We had to plan the event for we needed  guidance form the Head Chef ,my wife. 
The two daughters also joined me and offered to cook along with me for the date decided.
You may wonder why. My wife hardly allows any one to enter the kitchen to support.
On a lighter vein it was her own territory and we had to get visas issued to travel and work in her country /territory 
We planned cooking seriously . One daughter took over the breakfast on the way. Second cooked rice and sambar. Sambar went with the crisp dosas for breakfast and also for the lunch with rice.
I was told making sambar is easy. I took on the preparation of dinner with Rotis or Indian wheat flat bread (chapaties ) For the accompaniment o took on Ocra made well sautĂ©d with herbs and some spice. 
Cutting vegetables is an interesting chore . Storing the cut vegetables for the day was done a day before. I cut the ocra into small coin size and cucumber in bits for the raita -with curds 
Dinner had good comments from the senior daighter she felt it was made with lots “love from dad” that made her more hungry 
The challenge gave me some insights . 
Standing in front of the gas stove without a fan over head is a challenge. Washing the vessels is easy if it’s done instantly and no spoons thrown in to the sink. With a liquid soap  container near the sink spoons plates and other vessels is easy if some on the spot after breakfast lunch and dinner 
My wife could not resist taking over the night washing of vessels & I had to insist she enjoy her kitchen holiday 
Some days I plan to take on making chapaties and serving on some days of the week. 
Working as a team can reduce the pressure in the kitchen 
Laying the table images spoons pickles and other accompaniments on the table is one chore.
Washing the vessels and clearing the sink is also a chore Of high importance.
Thanks to sri sri the challenge opened up new options in family cooperation 
However the next day it  was  back to “I do the stuff here my way “ 

Thanks Sri Sri for OpenIng up the support system for the mother who cooks 
And thanks to the mother for giving us an opportunity to work in her country.

Muralidharan R Nair 
Day 13 14 of lockdown 
Bangalore murali04@gmail.com 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Food and cooking mindfully

Eat be thankful and be happy  Life has turned around  Now after CoVID it’s all about food rest sleep nutrition immunity and more  Calories a...